The Best Student Sim Only Deals 2023
Know what you are looking for? Skip to the best Student Sim Only Deals from each provider.
The Best Student Sim Only Deals
We have partnered with all the biggest and best mobile providers to get you the best student exclusive deals and discounts on your sim only contracts this year. Check our top picks or scroll through all the available offers. Make sure you share this page with your friends so they don’t overpay on their phone bills!
Student Sim Only Deals – Our Top Picks
Share With Your Mates!
All Student Sim Only Deals
The Best EE Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
EE Mobile Sim Only – Check Out Our Top Picks
The Best O2 Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
O2 Mobile Sim Only – Check Out Our Top Picks
The Best Vodafone Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
View our main Vodafone Mobile page
Vodafone Mobile Sim Only – Check Out Our Top Picks
The Best Three Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
View our main Three Mobile page
Three Mobile Sim Only – Check Out Our Top Picks
The Best Voxi Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
View our main Voxi Mobile page
Voxi Mobile Sim Only – Check Out Our Top Picks
The Best BT Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
BT Mobile Sim Only – Check Out Our Top Picks
- The Best Student Sim Only Deals
- Student Sim Only Deals – Our Top Picks
- All Student Sim Only Deals
- The Best EE Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
- The Best O2 Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
- The Best Vodafone Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
- The Best Three Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
- The Best Voxi Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
- The Best BT Mobile Student Sim Only Discounts & Offers
- What You Need To Know About Sim Only Deals
What You Need To Know About Sim Only Deals
What Is A Sim Only Deal?
A SIM only deal lets you pay just for what you use: minutes, texts, and mobile data.
It’s pretty similar to your standard mobile phone contract, only you don’t need to worry about buying a new phone.
How Does A Sim Only Deal Work?
They’re pretty simple really. All you need to do is pick a deal, based on how much data and minutes you want each month,
Then you either move to the new plan with your existing SIM card when your current contract is up, or ask for a new SIM card to be sent out to you in the post. Easy as that!
What To Look For In A Sim Only Plan?
There’s a few different things you’ll want to consider when signing up to any new phone or sim contract. The main ones being, the price, contract length, and how much data you’ll need.
Contract vs Pay As You Go
You have the option of choosing a SIM only deal on contract, or going for a Pay As You Go (PAYG) SIM plan. This will generally depend on your circumstances and how much you use the phone.
Those that really don’t use a phone often, just in case of emergencies, should consider a Pay As You Go SIM plan, which will help keep the costs down.
Those of you who’ll be using your phone most days for calls, texts, and using internet data, will probably be more suited to a contract SIM only deal.
Knowing how much data you need will vary depending on everyone’s usage patterns.
If you only really use your phone for calls, texts, and checking the odd email, a super low data allowance, around 1-2 Gb, might be all you need.
If you watch a lot of videos, stream music, or can’t get away from scrolling Asos, TikTok, and anything else to procrastinate with, you will probably need to go for a much higher allowance. Consider options above 25 Gb or above, or maybe even unlimited data sim only deals.
If you can, it might be worth checking your current data usage in your current network providers account. This will give you an idea of what you are using, and the amount of data allowance you should choose.
SIM only deals are available on all sorts of contract lengths, everything from 30 days, 6 months, 12, 24, or 36 month contracts.
If you’re happy to commit to a longer term contract, you can save yourself a lot of money. The longer the contract, the cheaper they normally are. If you’re not so keen on committing to a long term contract, you can get yourself a 1 month rolling SIM contract.
What Are The Pros & Cons Of Sim Only Plans?
SIM only deals might suit some better than others. There are several factors that will come into play when choosing the right SIM deal for you.
What Are The Benefits of Sim Only Plans?
- Cheaper Price: With SIM only plans, you don’t need to buy a brand new phone, so you’re saving yourself a huge amount of money on your monthly contract payments.
- Keep Your Phone: Some of you signing up to a SIM only contract won’t be buying a new phone, saving you the huge hassle of having to switch mobiles. It also saves you from the nightmare of potentially losing your personal data, photos, and memories.
- Less Intensive Credit Checks: as you won’t be lending a handset from the mobile phone networks, you likely won’t have any troubles passing a credit check when signing up for your new SIM plan, if you even take one at all.
- Flexibility: You can get all sorts of SIM only deals, some even with super low 30 day contract lengths. So if you don’t need a 12, 24 or 36 month contract, they might be great for you.
What Are The Downsides of Sim Only Plans?
- You Need Your Own Phone: You’ll need your own handset with a SIM only plan, and if it’s a few years old, it might be showing its wear and tear. If you are okay with that, but are worried it might break during your new SIM only contract, you might need to pay for an extended warranty.
- Buying A New Phone Might Be Expensive: New phones are always pricey, so if you do need a new phone, it might be a big upfront cost. A Pay monthly phone contract helps spread the cost, so might be a consideration for you.
How Do I Switch To A Sim Only Plan?
First things first, if you’re currently on a contract deal, you might have to wait for it to end. You’ll avoid having to pay any early cancellation fees.
Once you’re out of your contract period, you can then shop around and sign up to a SIM only deal that suits you best.
If you’re looking at a deal from a different network to your current one, you might need to get your handset unlocked. Then you simply insert your new SIM card, and you’re ready to go!
Can I Keep My Mobile Number If I Change To Sim Only?
Yes you can keep your mobile number, whether you stay on the same mobile network, and even if you change to a new network. All you have to do is ask your old network for a PAC code, which you need to send to your new network, and they’ll look after the rest for you.
How Easy Is It To Switch Networks?
Switching networks is really simple and super quick to do. The great news is, you can switch networks, and still keep your existing phone number! All you have to do is request a PAC code from your current network provider, and send it to your new one to switch over.
How Do I Get My PAC Code?
All you have to do is text ‘PAC’ to 65075 to begin the process.
Your mobile provider will reply by text, sending you a switching code, called a ‘PAC’, which is valid for 30 days. This is the code you’ll give your new network provider, who will be able to seamlessly move everything over for you.
For more info, check out the Ofcom article on switching mobile phone provider here.
How Can I Tell If My Phone Is Unlocked?
To see if a SIM card from a different network provider will work in your current handset, you can simply try a different SIM, try to make a call, and see if it works!
Borrow a SIM card from a different network from a member of your family or a friend, and give it a try in your phone. If you get any signal, try calling someone. If it goes through, great news, your phone is unlocked, or at least compatible with that network provider.
If you don’t get any signal, your phone is likely to be locked. It’s pretty easy to unlock your phone, just contact your current network provider and ask them to unlock the device. They’ll walk you through the process to unlock the phone, and you’ll be ready to use your new SIM.
This article is updated regularly and we try to keep all information as accurate as possible, if you do notice an error please let us know!
Our Top Picks are based on a combination of price, what’s included in your contract, special offers and bonuses. We receive updates from mobile providers regularly, and based on the current offers available we have made our choices. If you are a mobile provider and would like to offer a better deal than those above, please get in contact with us!